One major important makeup product that most people skip is the primer. This is mainly due to the fact that they do not know the importance of including a primer in their makeup routine. So they don’t invest in something they have no use for.
What you should however note is that, a primer might be all you need to be able to apply makeup like a pro.
ALSO: MAKEUP ESSENTIALS FOR BEGINNERS
Here are the benefits of makeup primer
- Makeup primer provides a smooth base for easy application of the foundation. So your foundation goes on smoothly.
- When you apply a primer, it helps the foundation to stick better to the skin. So your makeup lasts longer.
- It softens skin and some primers contain anti aging properties that gives your skin that youthful glow.
- Some people believe that using makeup often will cause your skin to break out. Although there is some truth to that, applying primer before your foundation can prevent this. The primer acts as a barrier between your skin and the makeup.
- Some primers contain SPF that protects the face from the direct sunlight.
- It minimizes the appearance of large pores
- Primer blurs fine lines and wrinkles on the face
- It reduces redness of the face thereby evening out skin tone
- Primer absorbs excess oil on your face to give you that matte makeup look.
- Eyeshadow primer, prevents eyeshadow from creasing and makes your eyeshadow last all day.
How to apply primer
Primer must be applied after your face moisturiser. Before you apply your foundation or colour corrector. Although some people use brush to apply primer, it is best to apply the primer with your hands and massage it into your skin.
There is primer for all skin types.
Most people think that primer is mainly for people with oily skin. So if they have dry skin, they don’t need primer. But that isn’t the case. There is primer for all skin types.
There are mattifying primers for people with oily skin. And there are hydrating primers for people with dry skin. There are also primers for people with combination skin.
Knowing the benefits of primers now, I hope you will include it in your makeup routine.
This article may contain affiliate links and I may earn a little commission if you purchase through my link. But this is at no extra cost to you.